Glass Doorknob And Sun Team Up To Start House Fire

January 27, 2017


A family in London recently discovered the magic of sun and glass after a crystal doorknob was credited with starting a house fire. Apparently homeowner Clare Thompson removed a coat that was hanging from the doorknob, which allowed the sun to focus its energy through the knob and set a nearby pile of clothes on fire. Not my vintage concert tees!

Charlie Pugsley, head of the Brigade's fire investigation team, said: "These sort of incidents are not as rare as you would think. I've seen everything from sparkly doorknobs and crystal balls to glass fish bowls and Nutella jars containing crystals starting fires.

"Crystal and glass ornaments and items such as shaving mirrors should be kept out of direct sunlight. The homeowners were extremely lucky and they were alerted to the fire by their smoke alarm.

First of all, glass doorknobs are kind of ridiculous. I feel like they really only look appropriate in palaces, and, based on my astute observation skills, that does not look like a palace to me. That door -- that door looks like it has seen some shit.

Thanks to rob, who agrees the best house fires are the ones you set intentionally to convince roommates to move out.

Previous Post
Next Post