It Happens: Patient Undergoing Laser Surgery Farts On Operating Table, Starts Fire

November 1, 2016

surgical-fire.jpg

Note: Picture unrelated.

A medical patient in her 30's started a fire at the Tokyo Medical University Hospital when the laser being used for surgery ignited gas she passed while sedated. For reference, that is amazing and a medical miracle.

According to a report from the hospital, "When the patient's intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation [room], it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire."

Thank God for doctor/patient confidentiality because you do not want your name released if you start a fire by farting on the operating table. You can't live that down. You could wear a fake beard and mustache and move to Fiji and one day when you're eating a grilled fish fillet on the beach somebody's gonna come up and ask, "Hey, aren't you that chick who started a fart fire on the operating table?" That said, if that had been me on the operating table there wouldn't even be a hospital anymore, just a crater.

Thanks to FireInYourHole!, who, wow, I couldn't have said it better.

Previous Post
Next Post