Don't Do That: Girl Sleeps With Samsung Galaxy S4 Under Pillow, It Catches Fire

July 30, 2014

cell-phone-bed-fire.jpg

Not gonna lie, I did think those were shit stains at first.

13-year old Ariel Tolfree of Texas says her Samsung Galaxy S4 cell phone allegedly "slipped under her pillow" while she was falling asleep one night and she woke up to it on fire. And that's why you never sleep with a phone under your pillow. Jesus, it's not a tooth. The phone ferry isn't going to come bring you a Galaxy S5 just because you put a 4 under your pillow. Right? They won't do that right? I'm only asking because I have an iPhone 2.

A spokesperson for Samsung says their products are safe, and pointed out that the battery inside the phone was a replacement unit and not an original Samsung part.


Nevertheless, the company does agree there is a need for consumer education when it comes to rechargeable batteries. That's exactly why they post a warning in their user guide, which specifically states covering one of their devices with bedding or other material could restrict airflow and cause a fire.

Tolfree and her dad, though, didn't read that warning.

"If anything, they should put a big warning on it, like a cigarette label, if that's the case," said Thomas.

In the meantime, the phone, the bedding, the mattress and pillow will all be replaced by Samsung.

Right, they should put a big warning on it like a cigarette label. Good call, dad! Or maybe just don't sleep with your cell phone in the bed. That's like forgetting a friend in the trunk of your car on the hottest day of the summer -- they're not going to survive. It wasn't even an original Samsung battery, I can't believe the company agreed to replace her phone and bedding. I only hope they sent her a twin sized sheet set for a queen sized bed.

Keep going for a video news report.

Thanks to PYY, who agrees the only things a person over the age of seven should be sleeping with under their pillow are snacks, weapons and sex toys.

Previous Post
Next Post