Because we don't already have enough terrifying things to worry about killing us (I'm looking at you, champagne corks!), you can officially add 'brain-eating amoebas' to the long list of shit to be scared of. Wonderful, just wonderful. *absentmindedly tonguing cyanide capsule*
Usually found in warm, stagnant water in freshwater lakes, ponds, and rivers, the parasite "enters the nasal passages ... and migrates to the olfactory nerves, eventually invading the brain," according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It almost always causes meningitis. Symptoms include fever, nausea, stiff neck and a frontal headache.
Thirty-two infections of the parasite were reported in the U.S. between 2001 and 2010, CDC spokeswoman Christine Pearson told The Lookout, adding that infections are almost always deadly.
Aaaaaaaand I'm never swimming again. Or showering. Or, you know what -- drinking anything. Basically I'm just going to die. But not by some f***ing brain-eating amoeba! I'm calling it a win.
Thanks to Emilio, Michael-C and The Superficial Writer, who're so smart they'd each be like two meals for brain-eating amoebas. Hoho -- a friendly shoutout appears!