You see those initials? Those are a 26-year old Easter egg from the Atari 800 release of Donkey Kong. Landon M. Dyer, the programmer responsible, just recently unveiled that he secretly put his initials in the game. Want to see them for yourself? It isn't easy:
1. Play a game and get a score of 33,000 through 33,900. This score must become the new high score. [Some other scores will work as well, see below.]
2. Kill off all of your remaining lives. However, your last life must be killed off by falling too far - by walking or jumping off a girder that is too high to land safely. If the last life is killed any other way, the egg will not appear.
3. Set the game difficulty to 4 by pressing the Option button 3 times. The icon for this difficulty is a firefox.
4. Wait a few minutes, and the demo screen where Kong jumps across the screen will appear.
5. The title screen will then appear, and Landon Dyer's initials [LMD] will be at the bottom center of the screen:
Yeah, I'll just settle for the screencap. Aaaaaand I'm good.
UPDATE: Video added after the jump. Warning: don't expect much.
Thanks to FDSY, who could dethrone the King of Kong if he wasn't too lazy to get up off the couch.